Sunday, February 24, 2008

That Red Hat Thing

I refuse to accept the coming of age with grace and dignity. I got to thinking today about this Red Hat Society. Sure, it has positives for gals over the age of 75, perhaps, though what I don't know. But the club is for 50 and over. From their FAQ page: \
""The spirit of the Red Hat Society forbids rules, per se. There are, however, some common-sense guidelines that we must insist upon:
You must be a woman of 50 or over (or you may be a Pink Hatter under 50), and you must attend functions in full regalia, (red hat, purple outfit for women 50 and over, or pink hat and lavender outfit for women under 50).
And, although we try not to concentrate on it too much, we do have some policies and legalese you need to agree to in order to become a member. (Probably no more than any other group out there and unfortunately necessary.) Click here for more information » Ladies are strongly encouraged to follow these color guidelines, and to NOT wear purple/red until they have reached THE BIRTHDAY """

I don't get why someone who is *only* 50 would go for something like this. It's like announcing that you've resigned yourself to being *old* and you just have to entertain yourself by joining an over the hill club with simplistic minded trappings.
It is refreshing that some 50+'rs are thinking a little younger than most. A few examples are Sharon Osbourne, 56, aside from promoting plastic surgery, she thinks and acts young!; Goldie Hawn, 62, OMG! Kirstie Alley,57, looks awesome despite her 100 excess pounds or so, though she is trying.
I guess I just hate to see women "accepting " age by choosing to look matronly and old when they get to a certain age, like 39, for example. It IS possible to look hot, young and modern even when you are over 60.
Anyway. I just ordered a workout program and I'm really excited! I actually feel better now than I did when I was in my 20's due to becoming more health conscious and attitude adjustments. I was thinking it would be interesting to start a research group of women who look and feel better now than they did in their 20's or 30's due to diet, exercise and mental attitude.
Forget the Red Hats, go get a Purple Pilates Circle or some Red Ankle Weights! Go to a modern hair stylist, go buy a Flat Iron and throw away your High Waisted Jeans and Curling Iron, along with your Red Hat!

No comments: