Sunday, July 22, 2007

A Murder In Metamora

Well, Jordan and I have taken 2 trips to Metamora on a whim this week. It was her idea the first time and for some reason I seemed to think it was really far down there, but it isn't at all. I'm really glad we went because it helped me sort of get some new ideas and get a better feel for Moonessence Meadows. I realized I was imagining Cambridge City more or less, an old time version, as the setting for the story and it just wasn't really clicking. Now I can see that Metamora IS Moonessence Meadows! It is perfect with the train nostalgia, the station, the canal, everything. It is the perfect setting. Trenchtown can be downstream just like I have it, and they can get there in a tiny boat or by train. There are several run down, abandoned barns and buildings too, that can serve as a hideout for the weasels. I think I'm going to get past this writers block soon now. The antique show should be in an old building like the Meeting House antiques store, not a ''Golay Center" type place which I was imagining. And I agree with Jordan, there has to be a murder in it. Yes, it is a Nancy Drew type story, but It needs a little more excitement. And there are a few good places for a murder. The water-wheel, the tracks, the locks under the bridge, or in the little brick Cross building! Also I already have a scene where the canal runs along right outside the basement of Toad's cottage, and where his father used to sell Moonshine. The train conductor (see below) on the train mentioned this very thing, the canal being used to transport moonshine years ago!

Well, anyway, today we decided to take the 30 minute train ride down towards Brookville along the canal and back. The old guy who takes your ticket gave a little speech along the way about how they maintain the cars and tracks, how far the train used to go, how the Canal originated in Cambridge City etc... He was wearing the engineer blue and white stripped overalls, with matching cap of course. It was a pleasant ride and we saw some tiny turtles and 2 that were about the size of a dinner plate. Anyway, the old conductor was standing in the isle, yacking away about all the history of the train etc. He was about in the middle of the car, which was pretty long (It accommodates 92). Most of the passengers were in the middle seats. Jordan and I took the first two seats at the front, facing each other, away from everyone else. So at one point I glanced down at the conductor and noticed there was a big bug launched on top of his cap. It looked like a huge mosquito, but not a galley-nipper. It was alot bigger than a mosquito tho. Sort of a mix between those orange grasshopper type bugs, a huge mosquito and a wasp. I said to Jordan "What is on his cap?" and she looked and said "Oh, god a huge bug." So for the next 10 minutes or so she kept looking around backwards at it to make sure it wasn't flying off. It was just merrily perched up there. Then all of a sudden it took off, and made a bee line, zooming right at Jordan's head like a torpedo! She flew out of her seat and swatted at it with her metallic pink hand bag. I busted out laughing and couldn't quit, it was a hysterical sight! Then it zoomed around and back down to the other end of the car, where it stayed for the remainder of the ride! I laughed all the way home. And every time I picture it now, I can't quit laughing! Of all people to single out, it had to pick her to zoom at!
Also, before the train ride we had lunch at an adorable, tiny cafe. I had a chicken salad croissant and she had a hamburger. It was really good, and they had great iced tea too. We went in for a tea refill before we left.

No comments: